Wednesday, 24 February 2016
MEMBER for Northern Tablelands Adam Marshall today welcomed the NSW Government’s announcement of the state-wide rollout of Suspect Target Management Plans (STMP) to target repeat domestic violence offenders.
The rollout, which starts this week, follows promising results during the five-month trial in the St George Local Area Command, in Sydney.
Mr Marshall said the government was supporting victims and targeting perpetrators of this insidious crime to stop the violence and keep victims safe.
“Sadly, too many people in our community suffer domestic and family violence at the hands of someone they know and trust,” Mr Marshall said.
“The government is determined to put an end to this. Suspect Target Management Plans put the focus on the perpetrator to break the cycle of violence.”
STMP are a standardised, coordinated approach to manage repeat offenders and have been used by the NSW Police Force since 2005 targeting offenders of other major crimes including robbery and break and enter crime.
Mr Marshall said police were often first through the door when dealing with victims of domestic violence.
“We’re committed to providing the necessary and effective tools so officers can continue to target offenders and support victims of these terrible crimes,” Mr Marshall said.
One of the Premier’s priorities is to reduce the rate of domestic violence re-offending within 12 months by five per cent by 2019.
STMP are one part of the NSW Government’s $60 million package announced last year for domestic and family violence that targets the perpetrator to reduce re-offending, prevent violence and support victims.
People needing information, help or support should call 1800 RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or the 24 hour Domestic Violence Line on 1800 656 463.