NORTHERN Tablelands MP Adam Marshallis urging local motorists to remain vigilant on the roads this October long weekend, as Operation Slow Down kicks into gear.
Since the start of the year, Mr Marshall said 259 people had died on NSW roads – 26 more deaths than the same time last year.
He said accidents could happen in a second and urged all motorists to take extra precautions on the region’s roads.
“With major sporting events, the school holidays and the long weekend, there will be a lot of activity on the road this weekend,”Mr Marshall said.
“Police will be out in force, targeting things that contribute to accidents such as drugs and alcohol offences, speeding, seatbelt offences, mobile phone use and fatigue.
“I’m also urging drivers to look after their passengers and keep their eyes out for dangerous behaviour from other motorists.
“If you’re heading to a game or to a pub to support your team, make sure you plan your travel, everyone needs to be accountable for their actions.
“There are few greater tragedies than losing a loved one in a road accident, so I am urging everyone to take responsibility and look out for one another.”
Operation Slow Down starts at 12.01am tomorrow and will continue until 11.59pm on Monday, 5 October.
Double demerits will be in place over the entire long weekend for all speeding, seatbelt and motorcycle-helmet offences.