EXTENSION FOR SAFEWORK HORSE CODE CONSULTATION

Tuesday, 5 July 2016

THOSE who wish to comment on a new work health and safety Code of Practice to help reduce injuries among people working with horses now have more time to do so.

Member for Northern Tablelands Adam Marshall said the SafeWork NSW consultation period for the draft Code of Practice had been extended to 28 August 2016.

The initial consultation period was due to end on June 30, but Executive Director of SafeWork NSW Peter Dunphy said the consultation period has been extended to give more time to those who have yet to provide feedback, and allow those who have already contributed to provide additional comment.

Thanks to the SafeWork initiative, Mr Marshall said, NSW would be the first State to have developed a dedicated Code of Practice to help guide employers in the horse industry to reduce risks and meet their workplace safety obligations.

One worker is hospitalised each day in Australia due to a horse related injury, and for every worker hurt, another ten non-workers are injured.

Work-related horse injuries cost the NSW economy around $5 million each year.

In NSW, since June 2011, there have been almost 2,000 workers compensation claims for workplace injuries and occupational diseases relating to horses, costing the Scheme $14.3 million.

Of the 133 fatalities that occurred Australia-wide between 2000 and 2014, 18 per cent involved people under the age of 20.

To view the code or provide feedback visit www.haveyoursay.nsw.gov.au

Recent Articles

NEW U.S. OPEN STYLE TENNIS COURTS READY FOR PLAY AT URALLA

22nd September 2020

Member for Northern Tablelands Adam Marshall, left and Uralla Shire Mayor Mick Pearce inspect the upgraded Uralla Tennis Club... Read More

NEW WARIALDA SHOWGROUND STABLES CONSTRUCTION PASSES HALF-WAY MARK

22nd September 2020

Celebrating the half-way mark for the construction of the Warialda Showground’s new western stables with Warialda Show Society Secretary... Read More

ENTIRE GLEN INNES SEVERN LGA ADDED TO QUEENSLAND BORDER BUBBLE

22nd September 2020

Tuesday, 22 September 2020.   Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall has today welcomed the announcement by the Queensland Government that the... Read More