FULL STEAM AHEAD FOR MOREE SAP: MINISTER CONFIRMS PRECINCT FUTURE

Wednesday, 21 June 2023

NORTHERN Tablelands MP Adam Marshall has welcomed a response from the Minister for Regional NSW about the future of the $194 million Moree Special Activation Precinct (SAP), confirming the government has no plans to cancel or alter the critical economic project.

Last month Mr Marshall put a question on the parliamentary notice paper asking for a guarantee that the project, which will create up to 4,000 jobs by 2060, will continue as planned.

“I welcome the Minister’s written guarantee that the Moree Special Activation Precinct will proceed and won’t be cancelled, scaled down or altered,” Mr Marshall said.

“As I’ve said before, this project is vital for the region and will be the single biggest economic boost for the district since the construction of Copeton Dam half a century ago.

“The precinct will build on the area’s road, rail and air transport connections, and create jobs across a range of industries including value-added agriculture, horticulture, freight and logistics.

“It will also open up opportunities to add enormous value to the more than $1 billion worth of primary produce grown in the Moree Plains Shire each year.”

Mr Marshall said following the response to his question, he had written to the Minister for Regional NSW requesting an urgent briefing with the Minister, her department and Moree Plains Shire Council on the next steps for the critical project.

“While this is a win for the Moree Plains Shire and the broader region, we need to know the status and progress of the SAP construction, as well as the estimated timeline for the delivery and the projected capital costs of the whole project,” Mr Marshall said.

“I will continue to keep up the pressure on the government to ensure this project is delivered, in line with the commitments announced last year, as it’s a vital for the economic future of Moree and the wider region.”

 

Mr Marshall’s question:

My question is to the Minister for Regional NSW,

In relation to the Moree Special Activation Precinct (SAP):

  1. Can the Minister confirm the government has no plans cancel, scale down or alter the planned $194 million Moree Special Activation Precinct?
  2. If yes, what is the current estimated timeline for the delivery of the Moree SAP and what is the current projected capital cost of the whole project?

Minister’s answer:

  1. The Government currently has no plans to cancel, scale down or alter the Moree Special Activation Precinct.
  2. See above.

Recent Articles

MARSHALL HOSTS PREMIER IN MOREE FOR URGENT LAW & ORDER TALKS

23rd February 2024

Photo caption: Meeting with Premier Chris Minns in Moree yesterday to discuss the rising tide of youth crime and... Read More

TWO NEW PRESCHOOLS ON THE WAY FOR WARIALDA AND TOOMELAH KIDS

22nd February 2024

Photo caption: Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall, left, with Warialda Public School Principal Dan van Velthuizen this week, discussing... Read More

WORK GETS UNDERWAY ON NEW $1 MILLION FURRACABAD CREEK BRIDGE

22nd February 2024

Photo caption: Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall, left, with Glen Innes Severn Council Mayor Rob Banham at Furracabad Bridge,... Read More