GRANTS NOW AVAILABLE FOR COUNCILS TO CLEAN UP RURAL LANDFILLS

MEMBER for Northern Tablelands Adam Marshall today invited the region’s local councils to apply for a share of more than $3 million in funding to improve their rural and regional landfills.

Mr Marshall said the grants, available under the fourth round of the Regional Landfill Consolidation and Environmental Improvements program, were designed to assist councils in improving landfills and reducing their impact on the environment.

Councils can apply for grants under two streams:

• Stream 1 is available to consolidate and close landfills and establish transfer stations; and
• Stream 2 is available for improvements to landfills and existing transfer stations including fencing and security measures.

Mr Marshall said the program had already funded projects that had made a positive impact on the environment in country NSW.

“Three previous rounds have funded almost $9 million to rural and regional councils for 43 landfill closures and supported environmental improvements to 66 landfills,” Mr Marshall said.

“This included a grant to Inverell Shire Council to cap, close and consolidate a number of its outlying landfills.”

Up to $200,000 each is available to councils which manage licensed and unlicensed landfills, with the grant providing up to 75 per cent of the costs identified for the project. The remaining 25 per cent will be covered by council.

Projects funded must commence in 2019 and be completed by 2021.

Applications are now open and close on Thursday, 14 March 2019.

For information and to apply, visit www.environment.nsw.gov.au/grants/landfill.htm

Recent Articles

REAL-TIME BUS TRACKING A NEW REALITY FOR ARMIDALE

16th September 2020

Edwards Coaches’ Operations Manager James Cross, left, discusses the new real-time tracking technology with Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall.   Wednesday,... Read More

$134,651 UPGRADE TO MUNGINDI SHOWGROUND GALLOPS AHEAD

16th September 2020

Reinforcing the grandstand retaining wall is one of number of projects taking place at Mungindi Showground funded by a... Read More

SIX NEW MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT OFFICERS START IN LOCAL SCHOOLS

16th September 2020

Providing support for students during difficult times Moree Secondary College, Student Support Officer Steele Sutton, left, Executive Principal Jennifer... Read More