Wednesday, 22 January 2020
THE State Government will co-ordinate the clean-up of residential and commercial properties destroyed by bush fires this season, at no cost to owners, so they can start rebuilding and communities can begin healing, Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall announced today.
“The costs for clean-up activities will be covered by the NSW Government in partnership with the Federal Government, irrespective of whether properties are insured or uninsured,” Mr Marshall said.
“This means insured property owners will be able to use every dollar of their insurance policies towards rebuilding.
“For those who are uninsured, it’s one less thing to worry about.”
Mr Marshall said work was already underway to clean-up affected properties and the government would shortly appoint major contractors in the South and the North of the State to do the work and will encourage them to engage local contractors wherever possible.
Clean-up work will include:
• Containment and removal of asbestos contaminated bush fire impacted materials;
• Removal of all dangerous debris, including destroyed materials and hazardous trees; and
• Removal of concrete slab foundations.
Impacted property owners wanting their property cleared or those who have already commenced or completed clearing work through their insurer or private contractor, should call Service NSW on 13 77 88.
So far, more than 2,200 homes and properties have been destroyed by bushfires across the State this fire season.
Further information is available at: www.service.nsw.gov.au