Bundarra Showground user groups look forward to the growth opportunities which will come from a $516,364 new pavilion and bar area, with Steve Groth, left, Bundarra Campdraft Association President Mark McLachlan, Bundarra Pony Club President Bruce Scott, Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall, Lands Minister Melinda Pavey, Bundarra Showground Land Managers Board Chair Max Fitzgerald, Bundarra Show Society President Dave King and land managers board members Marina Eckert and Geoffrey Beard.
Wednesday, 17 March 2021
BY next year Bundarra Showground will have one of the best multi-use pavilions in the region ‘bar none’, according to Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall, who joined Minister for Lands Melinda Pavey last week in announcing a $516,364 State Government stimulus grant to build a new entertaining shed, equipped with kitchen, dining and bar facilities.
In the last 12 months, the State Government has provided $906,742 in stimulus and grant funding for projects to improve Bundarra Showground.
Mr Marshall said the new pavilion would allow the grounds to serve up the very best country hospitality, no matter the occasion or event.
“The quality of events and facilities at Bundarra Showground is a real testament to the passion and hard work of the local user groups and volunteers,” Mr Marshall said.
“This grant will allow the demolition of the existing pavilion, with initial plans to replace it with a steel framed colorbond structure which is lined internally.
“Parts of the existing kitchen will be transferred across to the new pavilion, however adjustments will be made to improve functionality and make it compliant with health safety standards
“Designs for the dining room will be done so the building can comfortably seat 70 people.
“It’s been two years since the Bundarra Show last went ahead and the land managers are hopeful this build will be delivered in time for the show’s return in January next year.”
Bundarra Showground Land Managers Board Chair Max Fitzgerald said the old pavilion was the number one problem restricting growth at the grounds.
“In recent years there has been a real effort made by all Bundarra Showground user groups to update our power, camping facilities and amenities to ensure the venue is comfortable and accessible,” Mr Fitzgerald said.
“The old pavilion is really limiting that effort as it is now heavily impacted by white ant damage.
“We want as much of this money as possible to be spent locally and so are working with a local builder on designs, which are being developed with input from the facility’s various user groups.
“By rebuilding the pavilion the showground will become the perfect venue for community functions and private parties, with the land managers able to generate additional income from the site’s hire.
“We would like to thank both Adam and Minister Pavey for their ongoing support in upgrading our facilities.”
Mr Marshall said a $155,213 electrical infrastructure upgrade at Bundarra Showground had just been completed, funded by a previous round of State Government stimulus funning.
“If there’s three things that can put a stop to events at the Bundarra Showground it’s the drought, COVID-19 pandemic and a power outage,” he said.
“In an effort to offset one of these, money has been spent overhauling electrical infrastructure across the venue, replacing old wooden power poles with steel and overhanging lines with underground cabling.
“The benefits of underground cabling include decreased transmission losses, reduced risk of damage from storms and most importantly lower ongoing maintenance costs.
“Additional outdoor power outlets across the grounds have also been installed to allow increased camping.
“A separate $30,000 grant is also being spent making improvements to the campdraft yards. Come this year’s draft there will be a shade structure over the cut-out yard to improve the welfare of cattle and riders.”