MORE MOREE HOMES HIGH AND DRY THANKS TO FLOOD FUNDING

MORE MOREE HOMES HIGH AND DRY THANKS TO FLOOD FUNDING

Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall, right, presents More Plains Shire Council General Manager Lester Rodgers with the $313,480 cheque today.

Monday, 30 July 2018

FOUR home owners in Moree will be raised and made safe from the impact of flooding thanks to $313,480 NSW Government Floodplain Management Program Voluntary House Raising Scheme funding.

Member for Northern Tablelands was joined by Moree Plains Shire Council Mayor Katrina Humphries to announce the funding today.

“I’m delighted to announce that Moree Plains Shire Council has been successful in applying for $313,480 in funding to help flood-proof residences in Moree,” Mr Marshall said.

“This funding is awarded to local councils who have identified areas, property or houses that require urgent works to manage the impact of flooding. Moree Plains Shire Council will join forces with local landowners to voluntarily undertake works to raise the houses above the average flood water mark.

“Homeowners engage a builder and contribute to some of the works, with Moree Plains Shire Council securing the funding on the homeowners behalf.

“This is the third round of the funding to be rolled out in Moree which is making many homes in North Moree safer.

“There were two significant floods here in 2011 and 2012. Prior to that there hadn’t been a significant flood event for around 30 years but being ready for that possibility protects property and property values for residents.

“This is part of the NSW Government’s response to the impact of flooding across the State. Projects such as joining with homeowners to raise their homes reduces the social, economic and emotional costs of flooding.

“The region is lucky in that we don’t suffer too often from the type of devastating flooding that we see in regions such as Lismore, but being prepared is key to long term management if the risk.

“I commend Moree Plains Shire Council for being proactive in this area and helping locals get ready for a flood event,” he said.

Mayor Katrina Humphries said that works would commence once the consultation process with homeowners had been completed.

Works on the first home are expected to kick off in six weeks, with all homes in the current round raised by July 2019.

Councils interested in learning more about NSW Floodplain Management Grants can visit www.environment.nsw.gov.au/coasts/Floodgrants.htm

Recent Articles

$12.5 MILLION POWERS UP NEW ENGLAND SOLAR FARM BATTERY

13th August 2020

Excitement, the country’s largest hybrid solar and battery energy storage facility will be located at Uralla’s New England Solar... Read More

QUEENSLAND PREMIER FLICK PASSES BORDER CLOSURE PROBLEMS

13th August 2020

Thursday, 13 August 2020 Late yesterday I received a reply from the office of the Premier of Queensland to my... Read More

‘GRAZE AND GRAIN’ STUDY GOING GANGBUSTERS IN GLEN INNES

13th August 2020

NSW Department of Primary Industries Research Agronomist Rick Graham, left, Agriculture Minister Adam Marshall, Agronomy and Crop Protection Leader... Read More